Life with Jasmine, Juliet and Buttercup, Our Rescued Dachshunds

Random notes on our experience with THREE rescued miniature dachshunds

Two Weeks with Dad

on January 3, 2009

Hubby has been home for the last two weeks.  His company had a holiday shut-down, and we’ve been using the time to remodel the house and begin the packing process.  As I wrote earlier, it’s been a stressful time for all of us.  However, the chaos has actually helped Jasmine with her socialization.

Even in the chaos, we’ve fallen into a new routine.  We’re sleeping in a bit–until 7:30 or 8:00 every morning.  Jasmine tends to wake up between 6:30 and 7:00.  When she does, she jumps up on the side of the bed to signal that she wants to come up and snuggle.  I pick her up, plop her down between hubby and I, and promptly fall back to sleep.

When Hubby is working, he’s usually out of the house by 6:15.  Jasmine generally runs under the bed while he’s getting dressed and doesn’t come out until he’s gone.  Now, she comes up and he’s around.  The first week or so, she just sniffed the air around him and snuggled as close to me as doggily possible.  Now, at around two weeks of this routine, she is climbing on top of him and sniffing his face before settling in.  She never got close to his face before, so I’m heartened to see her being a little more bold and daring.

We’ve also had a number of people coming to the house over the last few weeks.  For Christmas, my Mom and a good friend were around for a yummy dinner.  We’ve been giving away lots of stuff, so people have been in and out picking up their new treasures.  We’ve had a guy from the library picking up our donated books almost every day (what a nice guy)–the library sells donated and discarded books as a fund raiser.  We’ve had the realtor come by to help assess the house and the huge amount of work ahead of us.  We have had more people through the house in the last two weeks than we have in the last 12 months, and Jasmine is better for it.  She’s not friendly–she doesn’t greet new people–but she also doesn’t growl when someone new comes in.  She won’t readily approach a visitor, but she has started to cautiously come close to sniff a new person.  She tends to cower behind my legs, but she does stay with me if someone is here rather than go and hide somewhere.

Two weeks of change, chaos and socialization has been really good for our girl.  When Hubby goes back to work, though, I have a feeling that she might revert back to “scary Dad” mode.  Cha cha cha.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: